Sunday 24 April 2016

Pink Jade Ring and Pendant

I had to re-work a Pink Jade pendant into a pendant and a ring  - yes it sounds odd but it wasn't - the pendant had two stones in it.

The original pendant was almost in the shape of an inverted egg (fat side on the top with the big stone and pointy side with small stone at the bottom) I unfortunately, much to my chagrin didn't take a photo of the original pendant before chopping it up.


So, how I started off was to remove the small stone and chop off the bottom of the pendant and then make a ring with the small stone inserted into it.

Then I would move onto reworking the main part of the pendant with the large stone 

The ring was easy, but the stone while small in the circumference was quite a tall stone and not having any access to lapidary tools I could not take the height down a bit, but it still made for a nice unusual ring





Pink Jade Ring

Re-working the main pendant now proved to be a bit of an issue, the pendant had a twisted wire finish around the edge that I wanted to try and save, but trying to get the edge of the pendant nice and even and also replace the twisted wire all without damaging the stone was to prove to be an exercise in futility or stupidity - you pick.

As you will see in the photo below the twisted wire just did not look nice and the more I tried to correct it the worse it got, so a decision was made..... redo


Silver is melted and rolled, patterns drawn and glued to the metal in preperation




And a little while later out came a fresh new pendant, I didn't add the twisted wire as I thought it looked fresher, crisper and more modern just plain.


Pink Jade Pendant


No comments:

Post a Comment